Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Snickerdoodle Cookies

My 100th post is coming up folks. I’ve been blogging since July and have completely enjoyed every minute of it. Who knew this would be so much fun? I have always enjoyed entertaining guests and throwing parties, but getting to write about it and share online brings the joy of entertaining to a whole different level.

To celebrate my 100th post I’m going to have my first giveaway. I didn’t have to think hard about what I wanted the prize to be, I simply thought about what my current obsession is and decided to treat one lucky friend to something I would love myself. Sur la table has these exclusive black damask martini glasses that match the curtains in my kitchen. Oh how I want these gorgeous and sexy martini glasses. Aren't they exquisite?

One week from today will be my 100th post, on that day I’d like for you to visit and leave a comment, any comment. I will use the random integer generator to choose a winner. Want to enter twice? Mention this contest on your blog if you have one and link back to me. Then send me a note to let me know. Thanks for celebrating this milestone with me; I sincerely appreciate your support, the comments you leave me, the e-mails you send me. You make this blog so much more fun!

On with today’s recipe. The sinful snickerdoodle. Who came up with the name “snickerdoodle?” What a silly name for such a seriously good cookie. These resemble vanilla sugar cookies but with a nice dusting of cinnamon. Some are thick and chewy, but I prefer mine wafer thin and crispy.

Here is my recipe for snickerdoodles my way:

2 Sticks butter, softened
¾ C plus 1 T granulated sugar, divided
1 egg
1 t vanilla
1 1/3 C and 1 T flour
1 t cream of tartar
½ t baking soda
1/8 t salt
1 t ground cinnamon


Gather your ingredients. The cream of tartar was a pain to find. I thought I would find it next to the baking soda and baking powder. I called my mom from the grocery store aisle but she was out of the office, so I talked to my dad. “Dad, where can I find cream of tartar?” His reply, “Check on the condiment aisle next to the ketchup.” I ended up getting in touch with my mom who sent me to the spice aisle and there it was. Kind of pricy too. I used whole wheat flour, I’m on a whole wheat kick right now. The vanilla I used is Mexican Vanilla I purchased a year or two ago. But I did receive an e-mail recently warning that the FDA issued a Consumer Update about ingredients found in Mexican Vanilla – so check on this first.

I left my two sticks of butter on the counter overnight. When soft, add to the bowl of a stand mixer.
Add ¾ C granulated sugar and one egg.

Add good vanilla. "Cream" this mixture together on medium speed.

Measure the dry ingredients. Flour.


Cream of tartar.

Baking Soda. (And I measured the flour first and then added the measured cream of tartar and the baking soda to the flour mixture.)

And last, add the salt.


Pour the dry mixture into your wet ingredients slowly, making sure it is all incorporated.

Next prepare your topping which is the 1 T granulated sugar and 1 t cinnamon.

Scrape down the sides of the mixer.

Shape dough by rounded spoonfuls into balls.

Roll balls of dough in the mixture.

Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. With two sticks of butter, these REALLY spread out so don't crowd.

Here are my soldiers ready to be baked.

Bake 8-10 minutes, or until set.

These really spread thin (because of the butter.)
Remove to a wire cooling rack immediately.

These are nice and crispy, best enjoyed warm with a cup of tea or glass of milk.

8 comments:

  1. Ooooo, those glass are gorgeous! I'm definitely coming back to visit and try to win me some awesome martini glasses...oh, and the cookies...YUM! I have never made snickerdoodles...I'm going to try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, by the way, do you always use whole wheat flour? I used it once for some cookies I made and my family acted like they didn't like it. I shouldn't have told them I used it. Actually it did give them a tiny bit of different taste than normal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yummy cookies! They look great!

    Yay for you on your upcoming 100th post! I'm working my way there soon too, about 15 more...that's a lot of cooking and writing isn't it!! Congrats!! You know I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband is gonna be SO happy and will probably melt in a puddle of thankfulness at your feet once I make these for him. Snickerdoodles are his absolute favorites! Thanks for this recipie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here is the deal on whole wheat. It makes me feel better to choose whole wheat as a healthier alternative to white flour. However, it can change the flavor of some foods so I make the decision case by case... or dinner by dinner. Lately, however, whole wheat is all I have had on hand so I take my chances.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kimberly, I can't wait to hear if your dear hubby melts. If he likes them soft and chewy, use less butter. :-) You don't have to be all "Paula Dean" like I just did.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How do i print a Recipe.when it will not let me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been looking for a crunchy snickerdoodle recipe forever, thanks! But there's no temperature - do you cook these at 350?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me, I love hearing from you!