Thursday, June 25, 2009

Southern Fried Green Tomatoes


We received juicy green tomatoes in a recent CSA box so I decided to try my hand at Fried Green Tomatoes. After searching foodnetwork.com I decided to combine a few ideas and make my own version.

Spice list: salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, celery salt, cayenne pepper and paprika.

My breading was stone ground corn meal.

Here is my set up: Flour, Egg, Corn Meal.

I added the seasonings to the flour. Just a pinch or so of each.

And then I added a pinch or so to the corn meal also.

Using a serrated knife, I sliced my green tomato into 1/4 inch slices.



First in the flour.

Then in the egg.

Last it goes in the corn meal.

I heated oil and dropped the little coated babies in.

I think the oil might have been too hot because they turned a dark brown too fast.

I served these with a generous slice of goat cheese on top.




Here is an interesting article on a Fried Green Tomato BLT.

4 comments:

  1. fried green tomatoes are the bomb!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. but did you like them? i am a long time fried green tomatoe lover from KY.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh...and with the goat cheese!!! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear KY Green Tomato Lover... I did not particularly care for these. And I recently discovered at a restaurant in Fort Worth that I'm not a big fan of fried green tomatoes. They were just okay. Any suggestions for making these stellar?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me, I love hearing from you!