Thursday, August 14, 2008

Roasted Tomatillo Salsa

The best part of my Chicken Verde Enchiladas is the homemade roasted tomatillo salsa. I like to also serve it with tortilla chips as a dip and therefore never make enough.

1 pound tomatillos
1 white onion, peeled, sliced, quartered or whole
4 garlic cloves
2 jalapenos
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves
1/2 lime, juiced
Pickled jalapenos in vinegar
Chicken stock
Olive oil


Tomatillos can sometimes be hard to find, they are like small green tomatoes but are encased in a green husk. I’ve read that the small tomatillos have the best flavor, so choose wisely when you are in the produce department. I bought about one and a half pounds of tomatillos for this batch.

First start by husking the tomatillos. They are easy to pull off, but you will find that they can be sticky and grimy. They will need to be rinsed thoroughly in the sink. I pick each one up and run my fingers all over it under running water to get them squeaky clean.



Next, I cut these babies in half and spread face up on a baking sheet. For spice, wash two jalapenos, cut in half and clean out (most) seeds. Spread these on your baking sheet as well. I sprinkled with salt, white pepper and drizzled with olive oil.


Put these in the oven under the broiler for about 15 minutes. Watch closely. When they start to blister, turn them over and broil until the other side gets nice and blistered too.

In saucepan sauté onion and garlic in a little bit of olive oil until it caramelizes. Transfer all the roasted vegetables and any juices to a food processor. Add the cumin, salt, cilantro, and lime juice and pulse mixture until well combined but still chunky. If you want it to be more liquid, add some chicken stock to get right consistency.
I didn't need to add any chicken stock, but it wasn't spicy enough for me so I added about two tablespoons of sliced jalapenos from a jar along with two tablespoons of the vinegar the jalapenos come in. This will REALLY kick it up a notch, add slowly and taste it as you go. Voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean a lot to me, I love hearing from you!