Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Coconut Shrimp with Sweet Chili Mayo


My friend Dacia and I went on a little adventure to the local Asian market. Boy was I in for a shocker, I didn't even know what half the items in the grocery were. It was awesome!

Here are some of the items we picked up. Edamame which we boiled and sprinkled with course salt to snack on while we made Coconut Shrimp with Sweet Chili Mayo. Recipe from Simply Recipes.

You will need mayo, sweet chili sauce, chili-garlic hot sauce, 1 lb tail on shrimp, flour, egg, coconut milk, salt, pepper, panko bread crumbs, sweetened coconut flakes, oil for frying.

For this amazing dipping sauce begin by combining 1/4 cup mayonnaise,

with 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce, 1 teaspoon chili-garlic hot sauce. Set aside.

Here is Dacia prepping our shallow bowls.

The first one has flour and the second bowl has one egg and 2 tablespoons of coconut milk. Combine with a fork.

The last bowl has 1/2 cup panko and 1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes.

If you are using frozen shrimp, defrost by placing in a bowl of ice water. Raw shrimp should always be kept chilled. With a paring knife, slice down deep at the middle of the back of the shrimp, but do not cut all the way through. Discard the black vein/tract.



Bread the shrimp by dipping the shrimp on both sides in the flour and shaking excess off. Next dip in the egg/coconut milk mixture and then in the panko/coconut flakes, patting to ensue the coating sticks well.

Heat 2 inches of oil in a saute pan over moderate heat until thermometer registers 350 degrees. Fry the shrimp in small batches for 2-3 minutes until golden brown on both sides.

Serve with sweet chili mayo for dipping.

You will not be disappointed, these are easy and fantastic!!
Our main entree for the evening was pork dumplings with ginger dipping sauce - that recipe to come!

2 comments:

  1. I adore coconut shrimp. We have a few Asian markets in my area and its crazy all the things in there that were foreign to me

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the markets in Chinatown in San Francisco. I work in a grocery store and even I am amazed at what I had never seen. Did they have blue skin or black skin ducks?
    I am going to make cold prawns for a party with a dipping sauce, I have a couple recipes already but this sounds yummy.
    If you have any thoughts about a Mai Tai Monday party check my post and fire away.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me, I love hearing from you!