Thursday, July 23, 2009

Goody Girl Potatoes


Goody Girl Championship Potatoes, these are mmm mm mmmmm good! This is THE PERFECT side dish to take to a BBQ. It taste like a loaded baked potato, but kicked up a notch with hidden spice and easily can feed a hungry crowd.

Here is a photo of the original Goody Girls, a cook-off team that competes at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. This team always has the fun tent at BBQ Cook-Off, live music, crazy crowd and some of the best Q to boot.


Start with three pounds of red potatoes that have been washed and scrubed. Slice into equal size pieces, best you can, about 1/4 inch thick.


Here is the SECRET, a pouch of crab boil.

Fill a large stock pot with COLD water just until potatoes are covered. Add crab boil and stir to combine. Place pot on high burner and bring water to a boil, cooking the potatoes until fork-tender.


Meanwhile I chopped up a pound of bacon (this is peppered bacon) and in a medium saute pan on medium heat, cook bacon until crispy.


Remove and drain on a paper towel.

Chop one onion and add to bacon grease; cook until caramelized. Just before onions are done, add 1 tablespoon of minced garlic and cook until lightly brown.

In a BIG bowl, add half the crispy bacon, four tablespoons butter, one cup shredded cheddar cheese.

Add 3/4 cup sour cream.

The onions and garlic look really good now.

They were a little too greasy, so I strained them first, and then dumped the onion garlic mixture into my big mixing bowl.
I checked the boiling potatoes and they are FORK tender, perfect!

I removed the potatoes from the cooking liquid and plopped them right into the bowl of cheese and sour cream and bacon and butter.
Season the bowl with 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1/2 teaspoon paprika and a sprinkle of Salt and pepper.
Then top the hot potatoes with three chopped green onions. Another cup of shredded cheddar cheese, 4 tablespoons of butter and the remaining bacon.

Fold ingredients together, trying not to break up the potatoes excessively. Check seasoning and adjust to your taste. These are KILLER!

This makes a lot of potatoes, so with the leftovers, I tried to make spicy potato cakes but they didn't "bind" well - maybe I could have mashed the potatoes better, then added in some egg to help hold it together when sauteing on the stove.


No worries, I have come up with an even better idea for these leftovers. Coming up next is a recipe I haven't named yet. I could call it Twice Baked Potato and Chicken Casserole, or Goody Girl Casserole, Kick It Up Casserole, or Leftover Potato Casserole. I think Goody Girl Casserole has a nice ring to it, but doesn't really say what it is. I will surprise you!

First photo borrowed from Food Network since I forgot to take a finished picture.

1 comment:

  1. Looks delish! Okay, need some advice/help over here please. We're hosting a rather casual gathering of friends pretty soon. Maybe twenty, maybe less. I'm completely out of my element for this but am very excited. We're just doing some snacks and it's BYOB. Okay, here's my question: what can I do to make this an easy-going gathering where everyone feels welcome and has fun? Any suggestions on cheap, and easy, snacks? Seriously, any and all suggestions would be a great help! We'll be hosting friends who we've not seen in ages! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me, I love hearing from you!