Monday, November 20, 2017

Tomato Basil Bisque



On a whim, I decided to make Tomato Basil Bisque and serve alongside a gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches. To ensure the kids liked them I cut the sandwiches into strips and called the whole thing, “grilled dippers.” Guess what? Harper was in love, asking for this meal the next two nights. Lucky for her, this Bisque recipe makes A LOT of soup although I could easily half the ingredients next time. Here we are a week later and I’m still enjoying the soup and I must declare it is the best Tomato Basil Bisque I have EVER tasted. Ever. No Lie.


Ingredients:
6 Tablespoons Melted Butter
1 Medium Yellow Onion, Diced
2 Garlic Cloves, Minced
1 bottle (46 Oz.) Tomato Juice
2 cans (14 Oz. Cans) Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
2 Tablespoons Chicken Base (Better Than Bouillon)
4 Tablespoons Sugar
1 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
Large sprig of Fresh Basil
1 cup Sherry
1-1/2 cup Heavy Cream
Garnish with chopped fresh basil

Directions:
I turned my pressure cooker to the “saute” function and sauteed the diced onions in butter until translucent (not brown) before throwing in the minced garlic. Stir the veggies around until fragrant, about a minute, then add tomato juice, fire roasted diced tomatoes, chicken base, sugar, salt, pepper, a large sprig of fresh basil and stir everything together. Add the pressure cooker lid and set to high pressure for 8 minutes. When cycle completes, use quick steam release and remove the basil from the soup. Using an immersion blender, whirl the hot soup into a smooth bisque. Add the sherry, cream, and stir. Garnish each bowl with fresh basil. 

Pictures will be posted later - I had to get this recipe out of my head before I forgot! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean a lot to me, I love hearing from you!