Friday, April 3, 2015

Easter Treat: Monkey Bread Muffins

My favorite little sous chef helped me make some Easter breakfast treats last week. Yes she is wearing headphones plugged into an iPad. She just got the headphones as a gift and wants to wear them all the time. Sometimes the cord just drags behind her as she plays in the house. I saw a funny meme on facebook with a toddler doing something silly and it read, "Motherhood, when you stop asking questions." So true!


 
I first saw these Monkey Bread Bird Nests on Mom it Forward and knew it would be a fun project for Harper and I to do together. The ingredient list is short and I put a small spin on the original post by placing malted eggs in the nests instead of piping icing to make them look like birds. Either way these are tasty and super cute.



Ingredients:
1 can biscuits
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 cup melted butter
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup of chocolate frosting
1 cup shredded coconut
Malted Egg Candy, or Cadbury Eggs found on the Easter candy aisle

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare a muffin sheet by spraying all 12 cups with nonstick cooking spray.

Make the monkey bread muffins by cutting each biscuit into six pieces and placing in a zip top bag that has your white sugar and cinnamon. Harper was a great help here! She really enjoyed shaking the bag to coat each of the biscuit pieces in the sugar-cinnamon mixture.

Harper helped me place an even number of pieces in each of the 12 muffin cups.

Melt 1/4 cup of butter and 2/3 cup of brown sugar in glass measuring cup in the microwave. Pour a small amount over each muffin - about one tablespoon each. Bake for 15-17 minutes or until the muffins are browned and cooked through. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.

I used chocolate frosting as my glue to hold the Easter eggs in place on top of the Monkey Bread Muffins.

Toast the coconut by covering a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spreading a thin layer of coconut over the foil. Place in the oven at 375 degrees and bake for 10 minutes or until the coconut is toasted. Press the toasted coconut around the tops of each muffin.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mandy I really have to thank you now as I could not find time to thank you on the Easter day. I feasted everyone in my home with the above mentioned dish on the day of celebration yesterday. Thanks a lot for your creative and innovative idea. I really have to give you something in return as my kid enjoyed the stuff a lot. Looking for more from your side

    Lisa Roberts,
    www.liverpool.fortuneinnovations.com

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me, I love hearing from you!