Thursday, October 25, 2012

Shrimp, Corn and Potato Chowder

I can't say what it was that made me want this Corn, Bacon and Potato Chowder I found on the Weight Watchers web site. Blame it on the pregnancy, but it sounded so good I had to make it that night. I followed the recipe verbatim and both Jim and I were so impressed with the outcome. He's not a "soup for dinner" kind of guy, so you have to trust me when I say this soup is good. I was kicking myself that I didn't take any photos, and knew instantly I would have to remake the recipe for the blog.

Original Recipe:

1 medium uncooked yukon gold potato
1 spray(s) cooking spray
1/2 cup uncooked celery, chopped
1/4 cup uncooked onion(s), chopped (or 1 large shallot)
4 pieces corn on the cob, kernels removed with a knife
1 cup sweet red peppers, diced
4 oz uncooked Canadian-style bacon, diced
2 cups fat-free skim milk
1/2 tsp table salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp hot pepper sauce, or to taste

Instructions:
Pierce potato in several places with a fork; microwave on high power until tender, turning over once, about 8 minutes. Allow to cool; peel and mash.

Meanwhile, coat a large saucepan with cooking spray. Add celery, onion, corn and red pepper; saute over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.

Stir bacon and milk into saucepan; stir in mashed potato and mix well. Season with salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce; stir to combine. Cover and simmer 10 minutes (do not allow to boil). Yields about 1 1/2 cups per serving.


When I remade the recipe, I of course went in my own direction. I'd like to think I improved upon a very successful soup! The full version of my recipe is at the bottom.

First, I chopped equal parts celery, carrots and onion.

Saute with a tablespoon of bacon grease and a tablespoon of olive oil.

Next, I added an Anaheim Chile that I blackened over open flame, steamed in a baggie and then peeled the skin off.

I added a roasted red pepper from a jar.
 
Then stripped the leaves off of three fresh sprigs of thyme.

Saute all the veggies together until soft, maybe 5-8 minutes.

I sprinkled the veggies with a tablespoon of flour,
 
and stirred everything together for a minute or two in order to "cook" off the flour.

Add a cup of chicken stock, scraping up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan.

Add 1.5 cup milk.

I microwaved three small potatoes in the microwave until cooked through and then chopped coarsely with a knife.

After I added the potatoes I mashed them up a little, but left some big chunks.

I drained a can of corn, then dumped it on in.

Stir together on medium-low heat, then taste and season.

I used a house made seasoning (see recipe below) on the shrimp, and sauteed in a little olive oil.

Crisp some bacon in the oven and crumble over hot soup. Serve with spicy shrimp, chopped chives or green onion and shredded cheddar cheese.



Mandy's Shrimp, Corn and Potato Chowder
6 Strips of bacon crisped in the oven
1 T bacon grease in a saute pan plus 1 T olive oil over medium high heat
Add
1/3 c chopped carrot
1/3 c chopped celery
1/3 c (small white onion) chopped
Saute until soft
Add
1 roasted, peeled and chopped Anaheim chili
1 roasted, peeled and chopped red bell pepper
3 sprigs of fresh thyme

Sprinkle saute pan with flour
Pour in 1 cup chicken stock
Stir together, scraping up bottom of pan, sauce will thicken
Stir in 1.5 cups milk
Turn down heat to medium low
Scrub and poke 3 Yukon gold potatoes

Microwave on high until cooked through

Coarsely chop potatoes, add to soup Mash with a potato masher to break up chunks - to your desired level of "chunkiness"

Season with
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon of pepper
Drain 1 can corn, add to soup

I made the following seasoning (from a Bobby Flay recipe)
2 tablespoons ancho chili powder

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons light brown sugar
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Peel and devein shrimp
Season with a tablespoon of the above seasoning
Saute in a hot pan with a little olive oil, until cooked through

When I served the soup, I topped with spicy shrimp, crumbled bacon, chopped chives and shredded cheddar cheese. AMAZING!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean a lot to me, I love hearing from you!