Sunday, August 9, 2009

Beef Carpaccio

Jim and I attended a party held at Perry's Steakhouse the other night and we were lucky enough to be there when Chef Casey came out to demo one of his dishes. There was beef carpaccio being served as an appetizer, but I was too afraid of the raw meat to give it a try.

Raw? Really? I asked Chef how this is not a health risk to eat completely raw beef. He said they order only the BEST beef they can get their hands on. He used a filet mignon cut of beef to start with and put it in the freezer. When the beef is stored below 35 degrees it kills any harmful bacteria and then of course the carpaccio roll is made and served immediately.

I was still a little hesitant until I watched him prepare it. It looked super easy and the end result is a really pretty appetizer you could serve at your next dinner party.


As I mentioned before, Chef started with a 4 oz filet mignon that was really cold. He placed it between two sheets of plastic and hammered it VERY thin with a mallet.

Next, he topped the sheet of thin beef with salt and pepper, capers, shredded mozzarella and minced arugula.

Then he tightly rolled the the beef up into a long cylinder.


Then cut into one inch pieces, transferring them to a serving platter.


He artfully dressed the plate with a horseradish mayo and topped with chives. After watching him put this together I had to give one a try and they were delicious! The capers were bold, the cheese creamy and the meat completely melts in your mouth. Loved it, can't wait to give this a try on my own.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean a lot to me, I love hearing from you!