Friday, March 20, 2009

Lemon Basil Mint Sorbet

I'm sticking with the lemon theme with this AMAZING Lemon Basil Mint Sorbet. I think this is a beautiful and simply luxury we should give ourselves and our guests every once in a while. I have an ice cream maker but have never attempted sorbet before and was inspired by a recent cooking class I attended (more on the cooking class later). Here is what you need:
2 1/2 cups water
2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons lemon zest
3 tablespoons lemon juice
basil leaves (use a big bunch of basil, around 20-25 leaves)
mint leaves (use half the amount of mint as you did basil, so around 10-12 leaves)

In a saucepan combine the water,

sugar,

lemon zest (this stuff you can't fake, use the real deal),


and lemon juice. Normally I would cut corners and use bottled lemon juice, here I squeezed my own. Bring to a simmer and cook until the sugar is dissolved, about 10 minutes.

Now add the basil.


Add the mint.


Take off the heat and let it steep for at least three minutes. I let mine steep for about 10.

Strain syrup through a fine mesh sieve and set aside to cool.

Transfer to the refrigerator until thoroughly chilled.

Then process in an ice cream machine according to manufacturer's directions. Transfer to a freezer-proof container with a lid and freeze until ready to serve.


We really loved these flavor combinations. The mint was bright, the basil was earthy and the lemon gave the sorbet a lovely zing.

The sorbet that inspired me to make sorbet was blood orange, mint and basil - but when I couldn't find blood orange juice at the store I settled upon lemon. But we did not settle my friends, this was REALLY great!


Recipe by Emeril Lagasse
Ingredients
2 1/2 cups water
2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons lemon zest
3 tablespoons lemon juice
24 basil leaves
12 mint leaves

Directions
In a small saucepan, combine the water, sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice. Bring to a simmer and cook until the sugar is dissolved, about 10 minutes. Add the basil and mint and set aside to steep for 3 minutes. Strain syrup through a fine mesh sieve and set aside to cool. Transfer to the refrigerator until thoroughly chilled, then process in an ice cream machine according to manufacturer's directions. Transfer to a freezer-proof container with a lid and freeze until ready to serve.
OH, and have I mentioned I PASSED my CMP exam! I took the exam in January after spending most of 2008 studying and preparing…then I had to wait two months to find out my results! Finally, a Certified Meeting Professional! New business cards are ordered, and my e-mail signature is already changed. Woo hoo!

5 comments:

  1. You are a Lemon Guru!
    I will try this little goodie out this weekend!
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am hoping for that ice cream maker for my birthday. . . or maybe Mother's Day-the sooner the better!!! I will keep this recipe in mind, it sounds refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice little ice cream machine! I love the mix of flavors here, definitely spring/summer on the porch possibility. Or maybe a late night treat for two by candle light.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on passing the exam!!!!!! The sorbet looks AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh goody! I have the same ice cream maker. Now I can follow your directions exactly and not wonder if I should be doing anything differently.

    This sounds so amazing. I'm going to make it for Easter desert. A nice light desert to have after eating candy all day!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me, I love hearing from you!