Sunday, March 19, 2017

Menu of the Week


Our menu of the week features a repeat from last week...because it was just THAT good. Of course I tweaked the ingredients and I think it's even better. Keep reading to see what we had.




I will have to remember not to use pink chalk on the board again, sorry it's hard to read. 

Monday: The Herby Roasted Salmon came from Ina Garten and we liked it a lot. I give it a solid 4 our of 5 stars. Let me back up and say that my recipe was inspired by hers, because I really went my own direction. This is what I did: In a small bowl I blended olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, minced garlic, parsley, dill, scallions. I left the skin on the filet and put that side down in a small baking dish. I seasoned the fish with salt and pepper first, then "crusted" the meat with the herby mixture. I poured about a 1/4 cup of white wine in the dish and baked at 400 degrees in the oven for 15 minutes.


Tuesday: Because it was 3/14 and Pi day, I made our favorite pie - white pizza, another Ina recipe that we just love. I use a fresh or frozen pizza dough and then make as the recipe calls for.


Wednesday: This is the repeat night where I made the Dill-Crusted Pork Tenderloin with Farro, Quinoa and Blistered Tomato Salad. This one is not from Ina, the original recipe is from epicurious and I tweaked it a little from last week. Instead of farro I used quinoa which I cooked using chicken broth. I left out the peas all together this time. Something else I didn't do was sear the pork before I put it in the oven. This made it harder to guess when the meat was cooked to temperature, but I added 5 minutes to the cooking time and it turned out pretty spot on.

Thursday: Spaghetti and Meatballs was an easy weeknight meal because I made quick tomato sauce over the weekend and had it ready in the fridge. Sometimes I shred carrot using a grater to give my sauce a healthy boost. I promise, no one will know! This week, however, I sauteed onion in olive oil until translucent. Then I added a bay leave, a tablespoon of dried Italian herb mixture, minced garlic and salt and stirred for a minute or two. Sometimes I add a healthy splash of red or white wine at this point to deglaze, but I did not do that this time. Sometimes I add a tablespoon or two of tomato paste but I didn't have any on hand so I just added two cans of whole peeled tomatoes. I put the lid on and let it simmer very low for an hour, stirring every so often so nothing would stick to the bottom. To make sure my kids wouldn't turn their nose up, I took an immersion blender to the pot so it would be less chunky.

Friday: One of our favorite holidays, St. Patrick's Day!




  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean a lot to me, I love hearing from you!