Sunday, September 13, 2015

Menu of the Week


Here is another full Menu of the Week from our home. The top three favorites this week were the Spicy Tilapia with Olive, Zucchini and Tomato Relish, Sloppy GI Joes and the Roasted Shrimp with Feta. Keep reading for links and photos.

Sunday: Beef Fajitas
This meal didn't happen. After I made the menu we changed gears and ate out with friends instead. Here is a tip though: I marinade my fajita meat in a mixture of Italian dressing and Picante sauce overnight before grilling. Delish!

Monday: Roasted Salmon with Quinoa and Broccoli
You know how we do Salmon every Monday, well this week was no different. I dusted a pound of fresh Atlantic Salmon with Baron's Hot Habanero and Green Chili seasoning. Then roasted the fish in the oven for 15 minutes at 400 degrees. I make my quinoa by sautéing onion, garlic (or whatever veg I have at the time) then cooking with chicken stock. I've been roasting my broccoli lately. I toss broccoli florets with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. I put it on the same sheet pan as the Salmon until it starts to brown and crisp.

Tuesday: Chicken Pasta in Creamy Roasted Pepper Sauce
Jim and the kids love pasta but I wanted to try something new so I found inspiration on the blog linked above. I also changed a lot of stuff about the recipe. For instance I made the Roasted Red Pepper Sauce by pureeing it just like this recipe. Our dinner was creamy because I added lots of parmesan and a touch of milk to the sauce before adding in baked chicken and curly pasta.

Wednesday: Spicy Tilapia with Olives, Zucchini and Tomato Relish
I should call this "Big Flavor Wednesday" because this fish dinner was simple to whip together and HUGE on flavor. If you like briny olives like I do, then jump on this recipe. In true HWM fashion I used the link above as inspiration and changed the recipe to fit my needs.
This ground fresh chili paste is a staple in my fridge. I defrosted two tilapia filets and brushed them with this chili paste. Then I dusted with a little flour and fried them in a quarter of an inch of hot vegetable oil, about three minutes per side. I cook them one at a time and then set on a paper towel lined plate while I finish the meal. The chili paste makes every bite of the flaky white fish spicy and the dusting of flour helps to get that nice crispy texture on the outside.


To the hot oil left in the pan I add a handful of chopped parsley, three shakes of red pepper flakes, a cup of diced zucchini, 1/2 cup of chopped cherry tomatoes, 2 finely chopped garlic cloves and 1/2 cup of chopped black and/or green olives. Cook for about three minutes until tomatoes are softened. Taste and add a pinch of salt and pepper if needed.


Spoon over fish and enjoy. I broiled some broccoli tossed in olive oil, salt and pepper and served alongside the spicy fish.

Thursday: Sloppy GI Joes with Sweet Potato Fries
I've never made sloppy joes before but figured it usually is loved by kids so I started on my search for the best sloppy joe recipe ever. During my search I saw one blogger nick name her sloppy joes, "Sloppy GI Joes" so I decided this is what I will call them too.

To make these satisfying hot sandwiches, cook bell peppers, onions, and garlic until softened; add tomato paste; and then brown ground beef or turkey in the same pot. Add a few seasonings along with Worcestershire and tomato sauce, and simmer until the flavors concentrate into a sweet, tangy mixture.

I was right, the whole family loved these!

Friday: Roasted Shrimp and Feta
I bookmarked this recipe in my Ina Garten cookbook but didn't get around to making it for several weeks. Ya'll, this is such a great recipe.


I've made it several times now and can say that you don't have to use diced fennel, although her original recipe is amazing as written. I have used chopped onion with great results.  Pernod, a liquorish/anise flavored liquor is also called for, and while delish, it's not completely necessary for the recipe to work. I've used white wine as a substitute. The other changes I have made is to use panko breadcrumbs and tail off shrimp and lay them in a single layer before crumbling the feta on top. However you decide to make this recipe with your substitutions, you will be happy with the results.




1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me, I love hearing from you!