Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Menu for the Week: 2 Salads, 2 Fish


Here is our menu from last week. You will see some of the same dishes as the previous week and that is because we had to skip a night so I carried Turkey Meatloaf over. Our new goals are to have two salad entrée nights a week and at least two fish nights a week. I feel like this menu meets all of our criteria.


Turkey Meatloaf: I grated a carrot into the mixture thinking I would sneak in a veggie but Jim was quick to find it and say he didn't like the crunch it added. I personally didn't think it was crunchy at all. After baking in the oven for an hour everything was soft (IMO.) Maybe next time I will sauté all the extra veggies first to make sure they are not "crunchy."

Salmon and Quinoa: Total standard for a Monday night for us. I season the salmon and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes based on how thick the fish is. I prepare the quinoa with chicken stock and chopped veggies.

Grilled Steak Salad: I bought a flank steak and put it in a zip top bag before work in the morning. I added whole grain mustard, some olive oil and a hefty pinch of a course seasoning I bought on our last trip to California.

The spices in this mix are garlic, onion, chives, oregano, chili pepper, sun dried tomatoes and sea salt. When I got home from work I cooked the steak by broiling in the oven on a cast iron skillet. After letting the steak rest, I sliced and served on a bed of greens with cherry tomatoes, shredded asiago cheese and a dressing made with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Super simple, but really delicious.

Chicken Coconut Curry Soup: I can't get enough of this soup! I will do a photo blog of this recipe soon, but here is a printed description of how I make mine.

Ingredients: chicken, onion, garlic, red bell pepper, broccoli, curry from a jar, chicken stock, coconut milk.

I started by chopping an onion and sauté in a pan with garlic and bell pepper. Then I added about 3 tablespoons of the curry paste. Last time I used a red curry which was delicious but not spicy enough for me. This time I used a green curry which was perfectly spicy for us. I let the curry paste heat up and "come alive" in the pan with the veggies. Then I added the chicken stock and two cans of coconut milk, brought to a boil, then added cubed raw chicken, broccoli florets and let this simmer for about 20 minutes. Delish!

Grilled Chicken Caprese Salad: This is one of the Plated meals we received last year. Jim and I are trying to have at least two salad entrees a week. 

Crunchy Tilapia: This is an easy and quick meal that I pull together on nights when I'm short on time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean a lot to me, I love hearing from you!