Sunday, December 1, 2013

Vietnamese-Style Shaking Beef with Basmati Rice

Basmati rice is a variety of long grain rice traditionally cultivated in South East Asia. Although it is comparable to other white rice, Basmati has a special aroma caused by a chemical called 2-acetyl-1-pyrroline. In this recipe, I would say that any rice substitution (white long grain, brown rice, etc) would be completely acceptable.

The star of this dinner is definitely the flavorful beef, accented by the bright and spicy herb salad atop the plate. I would not recommend making this dish without the greens. So here is how I did it.


My Plated dinner for two came with the following:

3/4 c basmati rice
2 cloves garlic
2 T fish sauce (divided)
1 packet soy sauce
1 t sugar
10 ounces flank steak
1 c salad greens
1/2 c fresh mint
1 red onion
1 green Thai chile
1 lime
1 t dark brown sugar

What I needed from home:
medium pot with lid
large pan (wok)
2 T olive oil
1 3/4 c water
kosher salt
black pepper

The first thing to do is to cook the rice. In a medium pot over high heat, bring 1 3/4 cups water and basmati rice to a boil. Stir once, then cover, reduce heat to low, and cook for 12 minutes. Remove pot from heat and allow to stand, still covered, for at least 10 minutes. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed. Fluff with a fork and set aside.


The next step is to marinade the beef. Roughly chop garlic. In a large bowl, stir together chopped garlic, 1 tablespoon fish sauce, soy sauce (about one tablespoon if I had to guess), and sugar. Cut beef into 1/2-inch cubes. Add to bowl and toss to coat. Set aside to marinate for at least 10 minutes, up to 2 hours.  I also added 1 tablespoon of spicy chili-garlic red sauce.
 
Meanwhile, wash salad greens (I substituted arugula) and mint and pat dry. Remove mint leaves from stems and discard stems. Peel red onion. Slice red onion and Thai chile as thinly as possible.


To make the salad, stir together remaining fish sauce, juice of 1 lime, and dark brown sugar. Add lettuce, mint leaves, onion, and chile, and toss to combine.

Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large pan or wok over high heat.

When oil is just smoking, add beef and cook, shaking pan to turn it, until browned on outside and medium rare, about 3-4 minutes.

Divide basmati rice evenly between 2 plates and spoon over beef. Top with herb salad and serve immediately.

At first, I was unsure that 10 ounces of beef would be enough for two plates, but combined with the rice, and herb salad, as a total plate the meal was more than enough. So satisfying at right around 500 calories a plate. The entire meal took 30 minutes from start to finish (and I was slowed down by taking pics of each step.) I would definitely make this again!

If you are interested in building your culinary skills, introducing your family to new foods, or finding an easier way to get dinner on the table, then Plated is for you.

Plated gave me permission to post the recipe, they are not paying me or giving me any compensation in exchange. All comments and opinions are 100% my own. I do get credits to my account when others sign up through my specific referral link. After you become a member, you can earn credits too with your own referral link.

If you check out the service and decide this is something you want to try, then please go through my Plated link.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean a lot to me, I love hearing from you!