Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Independence Day Wreath

Happy 4th of July! I whipped up this front door wreath last week and wanted to share with you how easy and inexpensive it was to make.

The wreath form was purchased at Hobby Lobby for $5. I have a better tip for you though!! Because I had enough decor items left over for a second wreath, I turned a pool noodle into a wreath form. I saw the idea on Pinterest, man I love that web site. The pool noodle from Walmart was only $1.50. I trimmed about five inches off one side with scissors and then taped the two ends together. I may do this for all my wreaths since it worked so well.

I wrapped the wreath with this spool of inexpensive sparkly ribbon from the Christmas section. Yes, Hobby Lobby already has a Christmas section!

I secured both ends with hot glue. It doesn't have to be perfect.
Here are my supplies: a spool of patriotic ribbon, blue ribbon, red flowers and white flowers, patriotic pinwheels and patriotic sparklers.
I started by wrapping the wreath with my patriotic ribbon that I found on sale for $2.00.

These sparklers were only a dollar each. I trim the ends with wire snipers and then poke them right into my wreath.

This also works with the foam pool noodle, just stick things into the wreath form.


So the ends don't fly free, I poked them into the top to secure them.

I've found it best to hang the wreath so that when I add accessories and flowers I don't inadvertently add all the flowers to the front and forget the top and bottom.
The pinwheels were a fun whimsical addition, and less than a dollar a piece. This is a good reminder to add fun items to your wreaths instead of being tied to just flowers and ribbon.
I learned this technique for easily adding flourish to your projects from a florist. Cut strips of ribbon first.

Then add a little hot glue to one end.
Fold ribbon over to make a loop.
Hot gluing the flat ends together gives the loop a little more dimension.
Here are all my loops ready to be tucked in here and there.
The bunches of flowers don't have to be expensive. These were $6 a bunch and I just pulled the petals off and added hot glue to the back and then applied to my wreath.

This is what I mean when I say that hanging the wreath helps with getting full coverage. The white flower attached on the underside of the wreath form gives this wreath a fuller look.

I alternated colors and worked around the sparkler, glueing flowers to the bottom third of the wreath.

Here is where I glued one of my ribbon loops to add another flourish and fullness.


I didn't feel like I needed to cover the entire wreath, but added flowers to the bottom third, and sparklers to each side along with a few pinwheels. Easy peasy!

If you don't have a door hanger, just make one with ribbon which I stapled to the top flat surface of my front door. With the excess ribbon, I tied a bow for decoration. So easy and fun for the holiday!

1 comment:

  1. So cute! Back in my pre-kid days I used to make wreaths all the time. I might have to give it a try again. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me, I love hearing from you!