Saturday, February 5, 2011

Greek Yogurt Blueberry Pancakes

Have you jumped on the Greek Yogurt bandwagon? Not only is this delicious and creamy, but yogurt is one of the super foods we all should be eating regularly. Plus, yogurt is also ranked as one of the world's healthiest foods.

There are many good brands of Greek Yogurt, some of which are fat free or low fat. If you can't find Greek yogurt, you can make something similar by straining regular plain yogurt for several hours to remove the liquid and thicken the yogurt. They make yogurt strainers, but if you don't have one, use two coffee filters inside a colander, placed inside a bowl to catch the liquid.

I've been wanting to try a yogurt pancakes recipe, and Jim brought home some blueberries from the store last week. Blueberry pancakes are one of his favorite breakfast foods so I thought I would surprise him this Saturday with this new recipe.

The recipe I decided on was originally from Pioneer Woman, but Smitten Kitchen adapted them, and then I adapted them even more. So this is a morph of a morph!

To make my Greek Yogurt Blueberry Pancakes you will need the following:
7 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/ 2 teaspoon salt
1 cup Greek yogurt
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Butter
Maple syrup

Mix all the dry ingredients first.

Dump the yogurt on top and stir it together very gently.

It’s okay to leave the texture a bit uneven. 

In a separate small bowl, whisk the eggs and vanilla together, then add to the yogurt batter.

Mix gently until Incorporated, being careful not to over mix.

On a hot griddle over medium heat, melt just a little bit of butter.

This is a scant 1/4 cup of batter and then sprinkle with blueberries. I prefer to drop the blueberries on the batter after it's on the griddle rather than mixing it in the wet batter.

After about two minutes, you will see bubbles appear on the batter. That's when you know it's time to flip.
This recipe made six pancakes that were about five inches in diameter.

Top with a pat of butter, some maple syrup and dig in. The texture of these are so good, I love the tangy flavor the yogurt adds. Not pictures is the stack of pancakes I topped with whipped cream. Decadent!! You need to beat 1 cup whipping cream with 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/2 Teaspoon vanilla. Whip until stiff peaks form and then add a dollop on top of the maple syrup. Enjoy the weekend even more!

1 comment:

  1. I love your morph of a morph! I love me some Greek yogurt!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me, I love hearing from you!