Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Caramelized Onion and Mustard Tart

For a quick and yummy appetizer, all you need is puff pastry. I keep a couple boxes of pepperidge farm puff pastry on hand for moments like this. Simply let it thaw in the fridge (if you are planning ahead) or on the counter. To speed thawing, because I tend to want to use it last minute, I heated a plate in the microwave for a minute and then let the frozen pastry defrost on top of it. This isn't ideal, but it works in a pinch.


I thinly sliced an onion and heated it over medium low heat with a drizzle of olive oil so the onion would brown slowly and caramelize.


Next, I added about a teaspoon of minced garlic and stirred until fragrant and then took the onions off the heat.

You could use any grainy mustard, but I had this chipotle dijon in the pantry that I was dying to try. I smeared a very thin layer on the frozen puff pastry.
Then spread the caramelized onion on top of the mustard.


The finishing touch is to grate parmesan cheese over the top.
Bake at 250 for 10-15 minutes, until the pastry begins to brown and puff up. Slice and enjoy this simple appetizer, it is sure to whet your pallet for dinner.

Another puff pastry appetizer that I just loves is from Ina Garten, check out this Goat Cheese and Onion Tart.

I'm still looking for your best appetizer recipes, e-mail them to homewithmandy@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean a lot to me, I love hearing from you!