Monday, May 3, 2010

Song of Solomon 3:4

I found the one my heart loves. Song of Solomon 3:4


Soon I will going from a Miss. to a Mrs. The closer I get to the wedding, the less I've been cooking. Or when I cook, I rarely think of taking photos. And when I take photos, I don't have time to post them. Sorry to disappoint. This is an exciting season for Jim and I. We have so much to be thankful for and are trying very hard to slow down and take everything in.

I've recieved some truly beautiful things from friends and family. This quilt from my mother is made from my grandmothers wedding dress, the same dress that my mother also wore on her wedding day. I will have a new dress this month for my wedding, but I now pass by this beautiful quilt hanging on my wall and remember the strong women who came before me.

I've had some wonderful bridal showers and one crazy bachelorette party. You know the difference between a Bachelor party and a Bachelorette party? The camera. If we are facebook friends then I'm sure you will soon find lots of pictures from my friends who attended the bachelorette party. We really had a great time in downtown Austin. Special thanks to the man who agreed to take off his pants and give me his boxers. Not so much for my friend who has pictures of me wearing them on my head.


Now you know what I've been doing the last few months, how would you like to know what I've been cooking?


A new favorite on Jim's list is Paula Deens Veal and Creamed Spinach recipe. This is a very easy recipe and taste delicious. I was hesitant about the ritz cracker breading, but go with it - it tasted great. My only change was to flavor the creamed spinach with a little bit of chicken bouillon and I served it all over thin spaghetti. Fast, easy and filling.

Jim and I also threw a luau last month and I'm very happy with the Kalua Pig recipe I decided upon. The pork was falling apart as I transferred the meat from the oven dish to the serving dish. Here is how I did it: I cut slits in the pork and rubbed with sea salt, then poured on the liquid smoke, which I have never used before. I loved that stuff, made the pork taste like I had cooked it in the ground the traditional way. I also added some fish sauce because I like to sneak it in as a "secret" ingredient. I only added about 2 tablespoons. Wrap the pork in foil, bake low and slow at 250 for one hour per pound of meat. Delish, sorry no pictures. This feeds a lot for a little - great food for get-togethers.

Here is an idea for a super easy meal. I took a bag of that easy heat in the microwave spanish rice, a can of white meat chunk chicken and two cans of chicken broth.


Cooked the rice as the package indicates, heated the chicken broth, added the chunk chicken and seasoned with my favorite mexican spices: cumin and cayenne. I served with some cheddar cheese and spicy sour cream on top. Quick, Easy, Filling.

Another man pleasing meal here! You know how I love to make meatloaf in a baking pan, and I tell you to freeze leftovers in squares. You should listen to me! On a night when I did NOT want to cook, I simply pulled a square of meatloaf out of the freezer, then heated it in the microwave, placed it between two slices of ciabata with some provolone, pressed like a panini and Jim thought it was the greatest. Want to get fancy? Stir some herbs (whatever you have fresh on hand: chives, basil, sage) into some mayo and spread that over the ciabata first.

Doesn't this look good? Wish I could tell you what it is. I found this picture in my archives. It appears to be some sort of pecan crusted chicken with a creamy sauce, served over spaghetti. I don't remember where I got the recipe, or if it is a HWM original.

Now this I do remember eating, and I loved it. This is a spin on Pasta Carbonara using ingredients I had on hand. I made it very mediteranean using sun dried tomatoes and lots of kalamata olives.

In addition to the parmesan I sprinkled on top before serving, I stirred in some cottage cheese that was on it's last leg. This was a great meal.

I will do my darndest to keep up with this blog over the next two months. Please keep us in your prayers as we have a lot of traveling ahead of us.

Now go forth and cook!

1 comment:

  1. It's great to see you on here! I've missed your posts but totally understand that you've been busy. I was taking finals two days before my wedding, which Gregg and I celebrate our 15th anniversary on Wednesday the 12th!!! I am so happy for you and Jim and I pray that you have many happy years ahead of you! BTW, the quilt is beautiful. What a treasure that is.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me, I love hearing from you!