Monday, January 19, 2009

Classic Beef Enchiladas


I decided to make these beef enchiladas because Jim received the domino game "Mexican Train" for Christmas and I thought we should have a few friends over and serve enchiladas and margaritas while we play the game.

This recipe comes from Pioneer Woman who has never let me down with her recipes. If you aren't a fan of beef, then check out my Chicken Verde Sour Cream Enchiladas, they are SO GOOD!

I start with 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large sauce pan over medium-low heat, then whisk in 1 tablespoon of flour. I'm making a rue here. This will serve as the base for our sauce, and thicken the can of red enchilada sauce that I'm about to add. Keep whisking as it cooks, for about 2-3 minutes.

I had to open this can from the bottom because the top was awkward. I found this mild enchilada sauce at my grocery store on the Mexican food aisle.

Pour in one large 28 ounce can of red enchilada sauce and add some seasoning: 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 30 to 45 minutes.


For the meat mixture I started by sauteing 1 diced onion in a large skillet. Then crumbled 1 1/2 pounds ground beef on top and let it brown. Then drained off most of the fat and add 2 4-ounce cans diced green chilies. Last, add 1/2 teaspoon salt. Meat - Done. Turn off the heat and let this cool for a while.
The sauce has thickened quite a bit and a taste test tells me this is right on track!

In another skillet (yes, this is my third pan to dirty) heat about a half inch of vegetable oil and we are going to fry individual corn tortillas just until soft. We don't want them crispy at all, just soft and a little blistered - just a few seconds on each side.


Here is my stack of softened corn tortillas after I fry them in the oil. Just stack them on a paper towel and we will begin assembly in just a sec.

Start by dipping each corn tortilla into the warm sauce. Just a quick dip is all they need.

I dipped about five at a time and set on my assembly plate.

Our additional filling may surprise youme. One can of chopped black olives and a bowl of chopped green onions.


Here are the easy steps to filling our tortillas: Spoon some of the meat mixture, then some chopped black olives, add some green onions...

AND don't forget the shredded cheese. This is pre-shredded store bought cheddar. It's all the same to me, although some would argue that shredding your own cheese is best. Whatever, I don't always have time for that.

Then simply roll the tortilla up like a cigar and place seam side down in your baking dish. As you can see in the picture I spread a little of the enchilada sauce on the bottom of my casserole dish. This will help me get them out after baking.

Once you get them all in the baking dishes, pour more sauce over the top and add more cheese and green onions. Bake for 20 minutes at 350, or until cheese is melted and enchiladas are bubbly. After you remove the pans from the oven, top with chopped cilantro for a great Mexican look and flavor.


Definitely serve with margaritas or a mexican beer like Tecate or Dos Equis...and play Mexican Train while you eat these up - that's really fun!

4 comments:

  1. Those look great! I have NO idea what Mexican Train is... I'll have to look it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandy those enchiladas looks great. So authentic. I am definitly putting these on my menu for next month. Thanks for sharing I always love your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can serve these with the margaritas I just posted! ;)

    I absolutely love enchiladas!! Yours look awesome...I love the olives in them!! Totally craving them right now...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enchiladas are my favorite Mexican food. I def want to try these and your chicken ones. I also admire you for making 2 pans! That took a lot of work!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me, I love hearing from you!