Wednesday, July 1, 2009

NY Times Meatloaf Recipe


Jim said this looked like a dinosaur egg when I pulled it from the oven. This meatloaf recipe comes from the New York Times, and although I already have a fabulous meatloaf recipe, I thought I would give this one a shot. Jim was skeptical to say the least, and he probably would have refused to try it, but it WAS covered in bacon. Ha! He couldn't say no.


The recipe calls for 1 lb ground beef, 1/2 lb ground veal and 1/2 lb ground pork. I used a pound of Italian pork and a pound of ground beef.

2 eggs.

1/2 cup of panko crumbs.

3/4 cup chopped parsley.

1/4 cup chopped chives.

2 tablespoons fresh basil from my garden!

1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper.

Mix all ingredients except bacon slices, gently.

Shape the mixture into an oval loaf.

Looks like a football, doesn't it?

Top the loaf with bacon slices. I used some toothpicks to hold it all in place.

Cook in a 350 degree oven for 1.5 hours.

It came out smelling wonderful, and looked an awful lot like what we would imagine a dinosaur egg to look like.

The taste... well, I have to say this is not as good as my meatloaf recipe. It was "different" and Jim thought it was a nice change of pace, although he prefers my original recipe too. We both really liked the smokey bacon flavor this adds to the meat, but I thought the meat was far too dense and reminded me of my mom's meatloaf (sorry mom) that I had to cover in ketchup in order to choke down as a child. This needs to be lighter, and it definitely needs a sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean a lot to me, I love hearing from you!