Friday, June 19, 2009

Homemade Breakfast Sausage

I'm not a big breakfast eater, but I understand the importance of eating breakfast so your brain starts functioning in the morning. Jim is teaching me to eat something first thing in the morning before a workout and something small right after a workout. So this non-breakfast eater is now eating TWO breakfasts! I usually have something easy like a breakfast shake or instant oatmeal Monday through Friday. On Saturday's however, I really love getting up and cooking a big breakfast. I've made Biscuits and Gravy to raving reviews, but this particular weekend I decided to make my own breakfast sausage. With some help from Homesick Texan, I took on this daunting task and discovered it's nothing to be afraid of.


It’s just a simple mixture of ground pork and spices, ready to be formed into patties and cooked immediately. I began with 2 lbs plain ground pork (left over from Asian pork dumplings) and added the following spices:
1 tablespoon of sage
2 teaspoons of marjoram
2 teaspoons of thyme
2 teaspoons of red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon of brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
Mix all ingredients together and form into patties.

The spice measurements are not an exact science, and what I did was pinch off a little bit and fry it up to see if I like the flavor. Add more of a spice or something new altogether until its what you like - feel free to experiment.


Fry six minutes on each side. Keeps in the refrigerator for a week.

Once you get the hang of making it, you may never eat store-bought breakfast sausage again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean a lot to me, I love hearing from you!